Saturday, July 15, 2006

The days are just packed

To quote one of my favorite authors, Bill Watterson, author of Calvin and Hobbes, the days have indeed been packed. Work continues to be trying as one of my latest recruit, who was finally getting it is moving to another program. (Maybe I repeat myself here). In addition, one person is going on vacation for a month and that means that other will have to monitor the families she works with while she is gone. Also most of the families we work with have been in crisis for the last couple of weeks, so indeed the days are packed.

The great news is that I no longer am the Chair of NASW! Yeah! After three long years of that, I was ready to move on. The new chair is a young woman who used to work with me and who is very nice and dedicated. That will be nice.

On the home buying front, we did sign our loan on Wednesday, and working in the field I work with, we are use to stating the elephant in the room and I realized just how much that culture does not transfer well to other social contexts. As we were signing a 30 year loan, it struck me that it is very unlikely that we will pay the whole thing back, as I am 50 and the hubby is 58. Thirty years from now I will be 80 and the hubby 88. Even in the best of situation, it is unlikely that we would still live there, paying our outrageous mortgage still. When I stated that fact the loan agent was very uncomfortable, even though I did say it in a joking kind of way. But most folks don't want to think or talk about death in our society. So it struck me as funny that her answer was "oh no, you are just kids" or some similar innanity.

I did get to play softball this week and I was a catcher for the first time. I did well as that but struck out every time I went at bat. Lack of practice. One of the stikes landed at my feet too, which I think was more of a bad call than anything.

I also purchased a capacity to e-mail the photos I take from my camera phone only to realize that the quality of the pictures is soo poor that it's clearly not worth it! Oh well, I can sent dorky pictures to others who have camera phones!

It is summer and the hills are now all yellow and brown. I love how they look. They seem like lovely brown velvet pillows that you would just want to roll in and feel the softness on your skin. Unfortunately they are mostly made of burrs and dried weeds which would not be so soft and cuddly.

With summer comes summer concerts everywhere and Friday nights in the plaza. I love getting out of work at 5 or 5:30 on Friday to go see whoever is playing and enjoy great music and seeing everyone in town. That is the great part of living in a small town, no matter where you go by yourself you are sure to meet someone you know and strike up a conversation. It is both reasurring and distressing. Should I get grossly innebriated, everyone would know, including my employer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home