Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sonho Meu, Vai Buscar Quem Mora Longe!

It has been a long time since my last post. Now as I write this, I feel like when I went to confession as a child! Not that writing on my blog is that intimidating.

It has been raining non-stop here in the central coast of california for the last three weeks. We are all molding! Fortunately, today was sunny and bright and it was a delight to see the waves with white crests over the deep blue of the ocean, a great change from the unending gray that has been envelopping everything. The seas have been raging the last few weeks and I include some pics of the spectacles we were treated to recently. The waves have been huge (note the tiny speck that is a surfer) and crash beautifully on the breakwater. I just could not get any spectacular pictures as everything was gray, including the crashing waves!



Last week-end, the Kid and I went to Northern Carolina to visit Duke University. She has been accepted at their program for a Master of Environmental Management. The program seems great, some of the teacher fantastic, and the other students very impressive and bright. We hung out with some of the young folks who were all prospective students and it seemed like a good fit for her. There are so many options she can select in the program that it can be molded to her specific wish. She is a little worried about the funding and moving across country, and I suggested she speak to Spin who has experienced this first hand. The campus was great and there are tons of trees and wooded areas, and the climate is fairly mild, although not as much as here. (They get a couple of inches of snow a year.) Although it was nice and warm for the week-end. So she is pretty convinced that she will go there. The other options would be to go to UCSB where she has done her undergrad work and that could be less interesting to prospective employers to see someone who just sticks to one school.
View of the main lawn, very beautiful.















Finally, for my friend in the Czech republic, who like me is a bunny lover, here are some alternative to live easter bunny to entertain the children.

5 Comments:

Blogger morskyjezek said...

Thanks for the ocean pictures! They reminded me of Lake Superior--there the gray is especially prominent in the fall and spring though we don't often get such big waves where I live. Ah, if only Brno were closer to a large body of water.

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brrrr that first picture looks cold.

12:00 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Yes Mystic, the water here is icy even in the summer! All surfers must wear wet suits of about 3mil or more year round. The water is colder than the air!

I have never been to lake Superior, but I hear it is lovely.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Delightful rabbit stuff! Nice choice.

And, while I haven't been to visit Duke, or know anything about the program in question, it's a good school and I recommend the adventure of making a major move. Especially when it's just an MA program. (Well, that's what I said about my MA program and next thing I knew there was a PhD program in my life too.)

1:38 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

And sort of like the ocean where you live, Lake Superior is never warm!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home