Sunday, February 19, 2006

Symantec-Shmymantec

I had my computer highjacked by my new download of virus protection program for the last few days and have not been able to keep up with everyone. Hope to do so tomorrow as I have a day off, thanks dead presidents!

I have been watching lots of the Olympics and have had ups and downs with the canadian athletes, and my week as also been full of ups and downs.

I shared last week that a friend and co-worker lost his son, and there was a funeral for the little boy last wednesday. It was very emotional, and very christian. I was rather upset and angry leaving the service as the preacher or pastor or whatever he is used the death of the child as a "call to the altar" I guess is the term for it. He stated that you could react in only two ways to the death of this child: either you will go away from god or will come towards him. He then also talked about how empty a life without Jesus would be, and how all of our souls would be lost. Anyway, it felt very opportunistic and misguided to use the death of this child and the immense sorrow of his family to try and converts the few folks in the audience, including me, who do not belong to a christian church. I really liked what my friend said, that having this child had deepened his spirituality, because it was heartfelt. The pitch of the official sounded more like a car salesman approach to spirituality, one of the main reasons I stay away from religions. The crowd felt cultish and wierd as they sang some hymn and raised their hands. I guess I sing some Hip Hop song and raise my hands too, but it is not the only meaning to my life. To me, there was a third option that this death brought in relation to spirituality: it had no effect on my spirituality. Death is part of life, and while I feel sadness and sorrow that my friend lost his beloved son, I also have known death, and have grown to accept it. Not that I am in denial, and that I would not hurt immensely should my child died, but I would not blame god for it, nor attach this death to a pre-ordained wish from god designed to teach me and the world around me something in particular. The whole event brought some very strange emotions to the surface and the whole agency was buzzing with it. Lots of folks spoke of feeling guilty because of the sermon, and other wondered if they should reconsider their spiritual positions, it was draining.

The other draining phenomenon was that one of my client finally was arrested and brought to the Juvenile Hall as no-one could keep him safe. It was a month of trying to help him that just kept failing at different levels. So for now we have some respite. It was a sad event as this child is very much lost emotionally and takes care of himself through anger and defiance. It is always sad to see a young person that cannot be reached when so many folks are trying to do so.

There was a fantastic party at my friend Ponytail's house yesterday. Lots of good music played by many who attended; a delicious dinner, this huge salmon done on the grill; lots of good friends; kids running around; it was a blast. It was a housewarming party for him as he just bought his mother's home and moved in with his little son. It was cold and rainy, but it did not stop anyone from having a good time and gathering by the oudoors stove, chatting and laughing. I needed that.

The Olympics for the most part have been fun to watch, although I have just seen the poor canadian girl get thrown in the ice dancing and that was very scary! I am angry that the canadian men are not doing better in hockey, but overall canada is doing well. The woman hockey team from canada seems poised for a gold. One thing I do love from the winter games: not a US sweep. I just get really tired in the summer games of seeing all of these professional athletes blowing the competion away because other countries do not have the same resources. Although, there are many countries which are not represented in the winter games. Pakistany skaters? Not common.

Feels good to write. I feel like I have few opportunities to do so and I do enjoy it. I feel trapped by the "ought to" these days and as a result, I do none of them. I did shop a bit today, but did not find what I wanted. I am looking for some winter gloves as the sales prevail right now, but did not find what I wanted.

I go get my eyes examined on Tuesday and then will get new glasses. I will get a pic when I get them.

That's it for now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that funeral sounds very intense and I am sure i would have the same feelings as you. How sad that people can't just mourn and grieve without having guilt attached to it on top. i'm glad that you did get to have some fun and lightness after all of the heavy stuff. sending you much love and light and happy thoughts :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I know just how you feel about the funeral. Oy.

12:08 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Thanks guys, I thought you could relate.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you P'tit I hate funerals to.
although it was good to see you express yourself so much.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home