Saturday, January 28, 2006

Starry Starry nights

I seem to be writing less and less lately. I must confess that work continues to be a bear and I come home exhausted and spent, ready to mindlessly watch tv. On the plus side, the Aussie Open was on most of the week and I took great pleasure in watching some of the matches. Too bad Mauresmo did not get good games from her opponents on her way to the title, three of them retired with injuries. I am tempted to stay up most of the night to watch the Federer-Baghdatis live at midnight. I'll see how I feel.

I have been on-call for a little over 24 hours and it already feels like I have spent a week with the thing. I am getting lots of calls and it makes me feel drained. It is keeping me from doing stuff that I would like to do, such as enjoy a good alcoholized beverage or go for a walk as it keeps needing my attention. On the plus side is that I have brought home from Montreal lots of great films and TV shows on DVD and my sequestration via pager gives me a guilt free occasion of watching them.

I am still hurting from retrieving something from my big blue recycling bin. The thing is 4 feet tall and I tried to fish out something that the Hubby recycled by mistake last Saturday night. As a result I bruised or stretched my ribs and side muscles. It is painful when I breathe, laugh, sleep and try to turn over, and when I try to reach out and forget that I can't. I have taped it, and taken Tylenol and Ibuprofen, but it does not seem to change much. I must say though that the power of Tylenol to reduce pain is greatly superior to that of Ibuprofen, although the latter is supposed to reduce inflamation, but does not do much for pain. The taping does not do much either, but I have slept a little better with taping and pain reliever. I tried to exercise yesterday, but I think it was premature and I am in more pain today. But pain is so subjective.

The skys in these parts have been mostly clear and have yielded some spectacular nights, bright, crisp and cribbled with lovely sparkling stars. I do love a night sky, it makes me feel so small, yet infinitely connected to the universe and all of its inhabitants. I can think of my friends who are far away and who can also enjoy the stars, and that makes me feel closer to all those I know but do not get a chance to see as often as I would like.



One of the most fun part of my week has been to listen to the Mes Aieux CD. Of particular interest is the song "Homage en Grain" about Poutine as it describes the dish to a salsa beat. I can't help but laugh everytime I hear it. Oh and yes, it is as disgusting as described and shown, and no I have not sampled it, however, I have had "Patate-Sauce," which is basically Poutine without the cheese, just a little less fat, but not much! With this, I launch a challenge: What is the most disgusting dish your native homes have produced? Think small regional weirdness, please!

6 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

Ouch! Feel better soon!

I'll have to think about those repulsive regional dishes.

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear about your injury. Rib injuries really are the worst kind since you can do nothing about them.

May I suggest you talk to a chiropractor, you might start to compensate with your other muscles and create problems in other areas.

Hope you feel better soon.

7:26 AM  
Blogger LB said...

yikes. hope you feel better quickly.

And Amelie Mauresmo has got to be the luckiest Grand Slam winner ever, surely?

1:28 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Karla, I figured you could find something in the Czech Republic that would rival with anything as far as strange dishes; Mystic, you are right, I should watch out for overcompensating by using other muscle; and LB, I know! How much luck can a girl have!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I hope you feel better toute de suite! hee hee i haven't heard the word "Poutine" since i left Vancouver :) well i don't know about hometown regional stuff but my mom just sent me and lorena each a copy of the 50th anniversary sisterhood (her Jewish women's synagogue organization) cookbook which has some hilarous recipes. one example: a recipe for stuffed cabbage where one of the ingredients is a jar of grape jelly, i kid you not! :)

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. thanks for your kind comments on my blog :)

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home