Sunday, December 11, 2005

Parallel Universe?

I can't remember if I stated that here before, but the family and I will be going to Montreal for a week long visit at the first of the year. It'll be fun to see the snow and the relatives. I get to meet my two grand-nefews, and see my sister's new house. I may also get a chance to see my good friend, the Artist who also has a new house out in the country. It seems to be the new trend.

The reason I came up with this obscure title is that I called my sister to tell her that we are definitively coming and set up some loose arrangements for our time there. As usual, she was in full self depreciating form, going on and on about how miserable she is since her husband has left her, and how mean he is to her because he has a life and lots of cash (that he mostly appropriates by being less than honest in my mind) and she goes on and on. The last time I posted about my sister, Spin also had a contact with her sis, and today I find in her post that she also called her sister, hence the title. I do not mean to sound heartless toward my sister, but tonight, I finally told her that I could not continue to hear her self-depreciation that is completely related to how her ex and his family have abandonned her and how she no longer has a family (which insults me to no end, especially if you consider the ex's family, a bunch of folks, who from the manner in which they act must believe their lives are being taped for the cheesiest of soap opera). Anyway, we had about 5 minutes of real conversation and then we went back to the jeremiades of poor sis and her misfortune, having no one who can relate to her, no one who loves her and has sex with her etc, etc, etc. Does she realizes what she is saying? How many folks are out there, living in solitude? She has friends, children who adore her and visit her every chance they have, she is very comfortable, even though she complains about her lack of funds. ARG, I don't know what to do about her. And then I was thinking as the conversation goes on for ever "Why am I going to spend nearly a week with this woman?" Do I want to hear more of that, and a diatribe on how much every piece that is in her house cost her, and what, by contrast, her ex has in his house? And then she talks about how maybe she will get sick and die from all of the grief she is suffering. And she state that it has happened to others that she knows. Don't get me wrong, I certainly have experience suicidal ideation, and I know others do as well, it's just that she has to bring it up a every damn conversation! If I suggest therapy or meds, she goes on that she does not want to gain weight, and others that she knows who are taking anti-depressant are like this or like that and that.... I should stop, this ranting is just as much a waste of energy as the conversation itself. I just always feel drained after talking to her. I can spend hours treating depressed and suicidal clients, talking to friends who are experiencing set backs and struggling physically or emotionally, but it does not frustrate me, I feel empathy. But with my sis, I just feel anger and frustration. Maybe it's because I know the jerk who dumped her, I know he cheated on her long before he moved on, but she still wants him, his cash, and his manipulation. That is what I don't get. If he came to her tomorrow, she would take him in a sec. Spin and Mystic, is there enough for a reading on her? Maybe something I could take back to her and maybe something other than rationality can reach her. Although, if you read this, I probably don't sound too rational myself, as my own emotion certainly get triggered a great big deal with her.

The venting always helps, thanks guys.

Somehow, this is the perfect picture for me tonight.

5 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Thanks Mystic, that is good advice. It just infuriates me that a talented, intelligent woman lets herself be caught up in that nonsense. But I know that I have no control over what she does.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a rare thing to know that we don't have control over others. It is even more rare to let it be.

This is usually only grasped with the help of therapy, Which you obviously have experienced.

2:13 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Yuck...it makes me sort of glad my sister and I don't talk.

8:06 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

I know, isn't it sad though? And she wonders why I live so far away, and why one of her daughters has done that too. Oh well, I should be thankful that it's not me. If I ever sound like what I just described, let me know so that I can go back to therapy and check myself to reawaken my senses.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy New Year.
.
.
.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home