Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Test week

This week, oh joy, I have a pulmonary test. That means that on Thursday, I get to blow in a little tube that will tell me that I am at 20% or so of what should be expected for my age, lungwise. Yeah! On top of it, it means that I cannot use my meds for a couple of days, which always scares me. I am feeling fine right now and on my home test, I fared better than I normally do. ???? So, do I really need all the meds my doc think I do? Well, I do know that if I was to try and exercise, I would not feel so great right now. I will see by thursday what is up and how well I breathe, since it takes a few days for all of the meds to clear our system.

I am also anxious to hear the result of the California elections tonight. I'm surprised that none of the channels are giving any info at this time. I will see if I can find something online. On the bright side, Bush made a fool of himself in south america. That is always refreshing to see that others in the world align with my viewpoint.

I have been working a lot today as one of my co-worker is ill. She is at home and sounds aweful. So I get to sub for her on all of her meetings with families. Double the work for me! And to top it off, Dept of social services will be eliminating their unit that is our sister unit. That means that instead of always dealing with the same folks, we will have a bunch of folks, who for the most part, do not believe in families living together, and come from a one-up view of the clients we serve. By this I mean that they see themselves as more knowledgeable than clients and are very reluctant to let client be partners, which is the focus of my program. I am such a feminist theorist, it is not even funny. But many of the folks we will now interface with come from a very punitive standpoint, and I fear that our program will go to hell in a hand basket. One of the partners that has been wonderful is so upset. Her job is basically on the hocks (sp?) and she is very worried as she does not want to be just another line worker. It's a lot of politic-ing, and I hope the folks we serve do not have to suffer too much.

This seems to be a theme for me. That of equality. I have difficulties with hierarchy, and this new change definitely stems from one. Also at my own agency, there definitely is more signs of this, and I always have problems with it. There is also a lot of hegemony, as the big boss has three sons, all of which have worked for us at one point or another. I'm sure my kid would get hired anytime, but I'm not sure she would want it. Some folks have been very dissatisfied and I hope we can regain some momentum soon. Overall we have a great crew, many of whom I count as friends, even after they have left the joint.

I guess I'll surf for a while and then read and study some Czech while soaking my feet (that is my little treat to myself, feels so good) and then go to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

"study some Czech"?

dobry den!

jak se mate?

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Treating yourself is good.

1:09 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Velmý dobře LB! Děkuju.

A jak se maš ty? (Are we going to be on a formal or informal basis?)

Ty mluvíš dobře češky? Ja mluvím jenom trochu češky.

I am in my infancy in learning this fascinating language, but I hope to get to a comfortable level with it. Where do you know it from and how fluent are you? I'm very excited to find someone who knows some! I try to read some stuff online, but I am still struggling to make much sense out of it.

iggkgs: either beer by the egg or eggs by the keg!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home