Sunday, October 23, 2005

Grey Day

Today is a grey day in Morro Bay. For more than one reason. The sky is certainly donning this color, but also we had a memorial for a friend who passed away a few weeks ago. The celebration was very nice though as he was someone who loved life and celebrated it with gusto. He was wheelchair bound most of his life, but that did not stop him. He wrestled with addictions as well, and I know that it shortened his days; however, he enjoyed it all. Folks had many stories of him and of all the kids that surrounded him and it was nice to see some of those that we had not seen for a long time. One young man that I have known since he was about four was very shaken by our friend's death as he used to live across the street from him and visited daily. It was great to see the impact that this man had on all of us over the years, even though I had not seen him as much lately.

I stayed in bed a long time, a result of staying up watching DVDs too late. Funny how that goes, at night I think that I'm getting more of my day, but in the morning, I lose a lot of it by recuperating! Also, I am on-call for my agency this week-end, and that always disrupts me. Not so much that I am getting lots of call, I'm not so far, but just the expectation that I could have to spring to action at any moment. I don't do so well with that. That is one thing that scares me from private practice, is that there is no-one else to cover for you, and depending of your clientele, you could be called at any time. I guess you can still work as a team in private practice.

The other part that is grey today is the ocean. There must have been a strong storm out at sea as the waves are enormous and crashing over the breakwater. I could not resist and went to see close by. After battling the hundreds of tourists that were gathered close to the rock, I made my way up a small path (along with about 50 others) to get a good view of the waves as they gather up their strenght and explode on the rocks. It was breathtaking. I watched for a half hour, mesmerized by the force of the water as it very slowly gathers up in large pointy crests and then unleashes on the shore. The whole coast could be seen as white and "ecumous." (I combine a french word here as "foamy" just does not do it.) What a spectacle. The sound also was beautiful. The low, rumbling roar that you can feel climb up through your feet, and that would alert any creature of the sheer force it packs. Of course, humans take no heed to this and walk very close to the edge of the water, where moments before a huge wave splattered. There are multitudes of signs allerting them, but they want to see. I can't blame them, I want to see to. I am just chicken? Or is it all of the accounts of folks who have been killed doing just that? Some of both I supposed. Of course, I did not have my camera to bring you this performance. I have to train myself to bring it as I seem to find picture worthy moments almost daily.

I almost forgot. When I left the house to go to the memorial, a large jack rabbit was in my yard. He was facing the orange cat Rosco, but they had not started a fight yet. No doubt the rabbit would have won as he was quite large, with ears 10 to 12 inches long, light colored in the middle, and dark on top. He ran away at full speed and the cat did the same. I took it as a good "augure," something positive is in store for me in the near future. Why not?!

3 Comments:

Blogger HistoryGeek said...

I'm sorry about your friend. Memorial services are so good/hard sometimes.

Your description of the waves was beautiful...

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Spins re your waves, wish i could have been there! Also sorry to hear about your friend...

to cheer you up:

scoqcwd - feelin' awkward in Southern California :)

10:59 AM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Well with this friend, we sort of did see it coming, with the hard life he led. But he was a true hippy, that's for sure. Some of his closer friends did say that he was ready to go and many said that they had seen him walk around since he passed away, something he had not done in over 25 years. So it was not a sad celebration even though the town will miss him.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home