Thursday, November 17, 2005

Training


Moon Rising over Morro Bay



Today I have begun the training of a new worker, and as usual it is sort of a drag. What makes it worse is that this chicks asks tons of weird questions and keeps going on about what her old job was like. The wierd questions are of the order of wondering how much I will micromanage her. That worries me as in should I micro manage you girl? At my agency, and I assume most agencies, since those I have worked at, even as a field worker, we pretty much do a lot on our own and when needed ask for supervision from others who are available. We have two hours of weekly supervision schedule and either myself of the "big boss" are there for any other questions, doubts, concerns, check in, etc. This woman is asking questions such as: "will you come to my meetings at least once a month?" and "How will you verify that I am fulfilling the hours I put on my timecard?" Now would that make you suspiscious, or am I just strange? Why would she ask that? She stated that her previous supervisor would require her to submit a schedule, and would call at any time to verify that she was where her schedule said that she was. Since we work primarily in the field, I assume all workers are out there doing their job. I am just naive? I'm sure from time to time folks may cut a corner, but I also know that due to the nature of our work, there are other times when we work extra, make that way extra because a family is in crisis and require extra attention. How about other social workers out there? Do you expect your managers to "spy" on you throughout the day? I have never experienced that.
She also would interrupt me with questions about deadlines and regulation rather than to let me get to my points. It just felt a little weird. I hope she works out, but right now, I have some doubt.

The funny thing was that in the interview, I did tell the "big boss" that in my guts, I felt that she was not the right candidate. My boss does not like to interview, so he tends to be eager to pick folks, and I did not have anything specific other than I just "felt" she was not the right candidate. Spanish Beauty (spin and HC, you know who I mean) always validates my gut feelings, as they have been more right than my brain many times! I hope my guts are wrong this time, because I just hate training! Well especially when it is not going well and taking much longer than it should because you get interrupted every two minutes to compare to what someone's previous job did! AAAGGGHHH!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes, girlfriend, i totally trust your gut feeling. she sounds very strange. at our agency, my co-worker ramon does not micromanage the case managers. he tells them to "take advantage of the chaos", that is to say if you are between seeing clients and take a little extra time for yourself that is fine. he would only check in if asked to do so or if it seemed someone was out extraordinarily long to make sure they are ok but in which case they would usually call to check in anyway. it sounds like she may actually need some micromanaging at least early on...good luck!

10:22 AM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

I know! It makes me worry a little. We will just have to see.

11:08 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Oh, those pesky first impressions instincts...why we don't trust them more I don't know.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the colour of the night photo.

8:29 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

It did turn out quite nice even though that is not what the sky looked like at the time, but the night setting on the camera made a nice color.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

HA!
Like the person who calls in sick at 7am and says, "I'll be in tomorrow".
How do you know how sick you'll be tomorrow, unless you're not really sick at all.
I feel you.
When someone is new and asks questions that pertain (or could pertain) to where their bounderies for getting away with things are...I'm with you on the suspicious front.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home