Sunday, November 27, 2005

California winter

Here I am kicking myself for not bringing a camera everywhere I go, especially after seeing all of the great pictures Flash put on his blog.

The last two nights have been quite cold, and the stars are brighter than ever, because the cold air makes for clearer skies around these parts. Also today, the horizon was the furthest I can remember seeing. Usually there is a bank of fog or haze that sits out at sea and makes a crisp, well-defined horizon impossible to discern.

Last night, the hubby and I saw the new Harry Potter, and it was ok. I am not a big fan of the series, but for what they are it was worth the admission.

Today was more entertaining in my mind though. We went to some friends who host a yearly craft show at their glass blowing workshop. I am always fascinated to watch them do some demos, and today was no exception. The culmination of the show, was a piece made conjointly by 5 artisans. It was designed by one of them, and was a rooster, sitting on an egg in a nest. It took them a good hour to put together, and I just loved every minute of it. As the temperature dropped outside, about 35F the last two nights, it was great to be in the workshop, near the roaring kiln that melts the glass, enjoying wine, and banter between the small audience and the artists. I love watching the glowing glass as it is shaped and reheated repeatedly, while the artist coaxed shapes out of it. I also noticed how the outside shape often does not change when the artist blows in the glass. The bubble inside the molten glass reaches the outside shape of the substance. One young man made a vase and was fascinating to see work as he added colour to the shape, then twirled the amber ball in the air to give it an elongated shape. It was great. It started the shopping season for the holidays, as I need to send items across the border to canada to my family.

It was great walking to the car in complete darkness as there was no moon or streetlight to take away the beauty of the stars, crisp and twinkling in the inky sky. Very pleasant.

3 Comments:

Blogger HistoryGeek said...

I remember going to that with you guys...was it last year?

It sounds like the weekend was a good one, at any rate.

7:46 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Yes you did come for one. It was a good week-end, sunny too for the most part which always helps.

10:18 PM  
Blogger LB said...

there is nothing nicer than being warm and cosy inside and looking out onto a cold night. It's like looking out of a dry place into a rainstorm.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home