Sunday, January 22, 2006

Confusion

I find life confusing at best, don't you? Here I was, having a pleasant evening with the Hubby (first we went to see Narnia, which, I think, was actually well done, and then we went out to dinner) and as we sat, chatting and enjoying wine and dinner, this homeless guy came by on a bicycle, hauling along a mattress (his bed) on a specially designed trailer for his bike. First, I marvelled at the ingenuity of the guy, and then I felt deep sadness that at this time of the year, when even in California, it is quite cold at night, anyone has to sleep outside, on a makeshift bed. Now, I have camped in the winter near Vancouver and was not too sorry for myself doing so, but I was 23 or so, and knew this was not a lasting state of affair. It just hit me as we sat enjoying our expensive meal and wine, that this guy probably barely ate today and would sleep by the creek as long as no cops picked him up tonight. I feel unsettled. It does not help that the Mr and I did not see eye to eye all day and continue to inhabit our disjointed universe despite trying to get on the same page today. I guess some days are like this.

On the plus side, the sky tonight is amazing (ůžasný, new čech word courtesy of the drummer's kind e-mail message). The stars are immensely bright in our california sky as there is no haze. One of the sorrow of the sky here is that there is usually some level of visibility impairement due to the mist coming from the ocean. (Yeah, life sucks, hey?, ocean, mild weather, lots of sunshine) But tonight, the cold, crisp air allows the stars to shine to their brightest, and I was lucky enough to notice them, in all their splendor.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tarun said...

lwHi, Nice post and very nice pics.
The best past was the sticker on the loo.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey amie,
I hear what you're saying. It's the fate of us do-gooders I think to not be able to fully enjoy the good stuff coming to us because we thing about how other people are suffering by comparison. It's especially hard if it's not been a great day anyway. I'm glad you got to see some stars though, that always makes me feel good too :)Sending you some hippychick goodvibes and hope u have a great week1

10:30 AM  
Blogger LB said...

I like watching the stars on a really clear night, actually.

There is nothing to make you feel more in awe at the wonder of the world than a good look at the heavens.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is hard for some and harder for others. But we often make the bed we lie on.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home