Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Mumbo-Jumbo

From a Punk group from Quebec: "I now understand that I did not understand you when you said: "Mhmph mhphm mhpphmm." They have very funny lyrics, as you can see.

This was a very fun week-end. The piercing and tat exhibit was very wierd and somewhat interesting. I was surprized to find out that Mystic hopes I will change my mind about getting a tattoo. Some of the work being shown was very odd, but others were quite beautiful. The band "X" performed and unfortunately, I had to miss their show as they started half hour late, and I had another event to go to. The whole indoor exhibit room which is often used for animals during the mid-state fair was buzzing and humming from the tattoo needles at work on at least thirty person being tattooed at a time. Some were large canvas-like projects, others where simple and small. Something I had never seen before and that was disturbing to me was the piercing where several rings are put on the side of a person, and then laced like a corset. One young man did have this work on him and all of the laces joined at his collarbone where they were tied to a leash that was held by his girlfriend. That would be a little disturbing if I did not know that mostly they seem to want to shock and attract attention in true teen fashion. Anyone else has seen this type of work?
I did find an artist from San Francisco who could probably capture the effect I am looking for. I will send her some sketches and see what we can come up with. The Kid found an artist in Oxnard that could do her design. Too bad we have such different taste and won't be able to have it done together (our original plan).

After the tat show, I went to a concert put on by the faculty of the music departement at the Hubby's college. Some were amazing and some needed a lot of work still. One young woman, who just joined the faculty, Inga Swearingen, was amazing, and another woman who I have known for several years sang opera. She has the most beautiful voice. It was very enjoyable and I got to visit with some friends I had not seen in some time.

Then on Sunday, I went to a baby shower for a co-worker, (we are a baby factory, I swear) and the event was held at an amazing home in the valley, it was simply beautiful. We had a great time with everyone that is fun that is from work. Here are some pics, views from the deck.

















Finally, here is something I lifted from fellow blogger Rabbits, Toyen and so forth that was sent to her by a friend:
'There's a new Russian vampire-thriller out called Night Watch that I have no desire to see, and I can't imagine it would be likely to appeal to you, either. Nevertheless, I thought the following line of description from a review I read had something to recommend it: "Aided by Olga, a woman who has spent 60 years as a stuffed owl, [the hero] must guard a boy who seems to be in danger."'

That really makes me want to go see it, it just sounds strange enough to match my taste.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have seen that piercing, laceup type thing before. not something I would ever personally want to do!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great scenery. I love it.

5:38 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Yeah, I've seen the lace-up thing before, too. And other rather disturbing rituals of piercing that remind me of something out of a sundance (without the spiritual context). I'll pass thanks.

It is quite a spectacular view!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

While I haven't run across the lace-up piercing (that I remember), I did a paper a few years ago that involved researching contemporary body modification/body art and you wouldn't believe all the kinds of piercing I ran across. If you do an online search, you'll see what I mean! Then again, maybe it would be better not to go looking. Seminar members were more than a bit taken aback when I did my presentation and showed some of what I found online.

12:34 PM  
Blogger LB said...

those pictures are lovely. Looks really peaceful.

12:33 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Doesn't it, though? We do live in paradise!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home