Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hidy-hidy-hi-di-ho

We just returned from a short town trip to SLO town. SLO-San Luis Obispo. It is a slow town, and brings the perks of a closed-knit community. The whole family went down today to run a few errands and enjoy some swing music played by some folks that we know, one of which being the music program director who was in europe with us last summer. It was lots of fun to watch them as well as the crowd of folks dancing. Now I do love to dance, but I'm not comfortable dancing to a scripted dance such as swing. So I just watched. The bar they were playing at, and do so most sundays, is an old style saloon. Granted it has only been there about ten years, it had the flavor of an old west saloon. There are two large stuffed animal heads, a ram and a moose, and "the largest round mirror" behind the bar. I don't know if the claim still stand, and what is the actual perimeter that it applies to, but it still is a very nice mirror behind the bar. The ceiling is made of that tooled metal that reminds me of my uncle's kitchen in an old farm house when I was a child, and there is a system of pullies that activates the fans to refresh the audience. It is a fun place to hang out and one of the main places where I go dancing at night with the hords of "poly-dollies" or young university girls who barely have reached the US drinking age. It was fun to hang there while savoring some decent brew.

As we drove home, we were treated to an awesome sunset, complete with sundogs reflected from some particularly luminous clouds. The late afternoon light was reverberating off of the hills and the grass took on that amazing glow that a friend of the Kid calls "alpine glow." The sky was separated by a vaporous cloud with one half turquoise mottled with orange clouds, and the other half true sky blue with greying clouds. I just love seeing such sights. It may be one of the main reason it is so hard to leave this area. (No, I don't have any plans to leave soon, unless something extra-ordinary happens.)

Yesterday the Hubby and I saw the Waybacks. They were quite entertaining. It was a fundraiser for my agency, and lots of folks who work with me attended. It was very fun as the Office mate and I sold drinks tickets, while the bookkeepers filled the glasses. It was an inverted world as I certainly can't count. We had fun and the music was out of this world.

I also talked to the sis yesterday, and for a change it was a pretty decent conversation. She did not cry--amazing--and was able to speak of her ex in a negative, but not victim-y manner. It was great. I feel like I might have my sister back. She still complained about the young folks she works with, and how incompetent they are. I don't think younger folks are incompetent, I see plenty of older ones who fit that bill. Anyways, it was the best conversation we had in 6 years, so it does count for a lot to me. She was just returning from a trip to Venezuela, poor thing! I know she has the rough life. She did let me know that the ex told her that he was very sad not to have an occasion to see me when I went home in January. Like I would want to see him! Although if I did get a chance to see him, I would let him know how I always thought he was a simple thief that looks for an opportunity to cheat others whenever he can, and that those are not qualities that impress me, no matter how much cash a person has to throw around. It's still stolen good.

Wow two posts in two days! A record for me!

2 Comments:

Blogger HistoryGeek said...

The sunset sounds glorious! It sounds like you guys needed a good day after the Hubby's bad news. Hang in there.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the theater, I sure hope everything works out for Hubby in the best way it can. What are sundogs? Was great to see you last weekend!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home