Sunday, May 28, 2006

Soo Long!

I can't believe how long it has been since I last blogged! My weeks and days have been insanely busy and I have collapsed in exhaustions at the end of most days.

I went to my yearly week-end with teens last week and it was fun as ususal. Picture 135 High School Sophomores (15-16 years old) pumped up on sugar, yelling cheers as loud as they can and discussing the future of the world the rest of the time. We had a blast. Some of the kids were amazingly smart, which gives me hope and balances some of the challenges I face with the kids I work with for my job.

Speaking of which, It has been closer to a pain than anything else. WARNING: the following paragraph contains intense raving and bitching about work, upbeat section of blog comes after, feel free to skip to that part. END OF WARNING. I had some training which was good, and since then I have been trying to catch up. We have mountains of documentation that we struggle to keep up with, and more work than can be done. I get frustrated. More and more responsibilities are put on me and I want to move on. Last week, after a week-end of not much sleep with the crowd of teens, I was required to attend training every mornings from 8 to 12, and then basically do all of the rest of my work, which takes at least 6 to 7 hours just to stay afloat. I was a real bitch all week to everyone, and very short with my boss. We finally talked on Friday and I will not do the second week of the training. Two of the reasons that pissed me the most were that this was a training for the trainer of a basic communication training for foster parents. I don't want to have to take another assignment, because I don't have time for it. The nature of the training was very basic and nothing I did not know, so basically useless to me. I'll do the time crunch thing if I will get something out of the training, but not if I won't. In addition, I have a hard time being at work at 8 am because I have to do my meds which take a half hour, and I really need to go to the gym to keep my lung function at its best, that takes about 1 and 1/2 hour before breakfast and shower and drive to work, and no, I will not get up at five in the morning to get to work at 8. Anyway, I did bitch to the boss and now I'm out of the training for the second week. Another thing that pissed me off was that there is a huge conference of all the folks who do my program in california in June and I really wanted to go, but was told we could not send anyone. Then I find out that my boss, the agency CEO and another person all are going to present on our program. That really upset me, not that I am not going, but that I was not in the loop of setting it up. My boss kept saying he would rather not go, and I don't care about how he feels about going or not, I would have like to be included in decisions being made about my program, since I am the supervisor of the program! GRRR!

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS:
Another thing that has taken time away from blogland is that I have applied to the local college as an instructer and was accepted. I will teach a class in the fall. That may help me move on away from a job where I feel like I am treading water and never get closer to the shore. I am really excited about it and realize that it will be a lot of work at first, but I am ready for a change and something where I feel some fun. I may be able to have a private practice too in the future, so that could bring some positive changes.

I also have been to concerts that were very uplifting. I went to the closing season concert of the choir I toured with last year and it brought back such strong memories. It was wonderful. I loved hearing all of their voices. I also went to see a funk group that is great and danced some. So it is not all bad, actually there is quite a bit of good. I just don't do well when I am overtired and don't get an opportunity to exercise.

On the horizon, the music festival I attend each year is coming up and I will be delighted to have fun with friends and fill my heart with music.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor poor you! I'm so sorry to hear about the continued and mounting stress at your workplace - all those things are so ridiculous. And what's worse is taking care of your health is getting totally sidelined. I'm so excited for your teaching gig and I'm sending you lots of positive energy to be able to move away from the job you're in to teaching/private practice and whatever else you want to do. I know your options are limited by your geography but I'm glad that you are getting new opportunities. Hang in there, I feel good things coming your way!

9:51 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Yeah!! I can feel the good vibes!

12:08 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Congratulations on the teaching position! That's fantastic. I think you would be amazing in private practice.

As for the job, deep breaths and something soft that you can throw against the wall are often helpful.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Glad to know that things are looking up. Working in social services agencies is always tiring, even when also fulfilling (I've done it). There's always a lot of red tape and interpersonal weirdness. So... enjoy the music!

3:08 AM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

thanks all for the kind words, this week, although challenging too, has been better.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home