Wednesday, April 19, 2006

J'ai le vague a l'ame

Litterally: I have a vagueness in my soul or something like that. An expression I feel captures my current emotional state. Work is working me. Not so much the regular stuff, but just all of the changes that are happening.

It starts with my continually getting raises. I know, I am nuts to complain about that or to experience undue stress from it. I now feel so much part of the establishment, and for an old hippy, that is a tragedy! But also, from the raise comes more expectation. It has not been overtly stated, and may be my own hang up, but I feel I will have to perform more to earn that raise, not so much that I have been doing lots and deserve it. (Catholic hang up maybe?) I know my boss does appreciate what I have done and continues to do for the agency, and about a year ago, my title was changed from coordinator to supervisor which carried some additional tasks, but not overly. But now, my direct supervisor is moving on from supervising my program to other duties and I will be more in charge, although he is still involved. Part of it is that the lines are not very clear, maybe that is what is draging me down.

Other things that add to the situation is that we do have lots of new folks directly in my "unit." All of these folks bring new styles and needs and ideas and conflicts too. I mourn our old little protected group that was so tight knit. We are now so divided and some folks are not very open and foment behind closed doors. Others want german like structure, which I cannot supply and which horrifies me anyway. My style of leadership is very non-hierarchal and open. I do not want to have harshly regulated meeting when no one can speak their mind. And at the same time, I don't understand why those who dissent cannot just say so during the meeting rather than feeling like they must do so after the fact.

The other part is that I think of my supervisor, who, as far as I know, leads an immensely isolated life, comprised mostly of his work, and little social life. This is the guy that is basically always on-call. He goes on vacation and we can still call him with queries, and some co-workers have done that. That is not the life I want for myself. That is why the raise makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I fear it for the hidden and implied costs to me, to my personal life, to my independence, to my friendships.

I would welcome any comments. Mystic, what is your crystal ball (metaphorical as it may be) telling you? I just feel alone because the person I would normally talk to is part of the target of some other's dissent, so I can't bring my concerns to her. Pffft! (Sound of P'tit sticking her tongue out at the world!)

Pretty picture:

3 Comments:

Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Hey! Take the money with grace, woman! We social workers don't get compensated according to our skills and education anyway.

As for the added responsibilities, maybe it's time to sit down for a "revision of your job description" just so you are clear about what your role is in the organization.

I do understand about the workplace in chaos. Am there right now! I'm glad you reminded me about the county fair in your area...Let's talk more because I'd love to come down this year.

Hang in there, and I'm only a call away if you need to talk.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how you supply all the answers in your post to your own question.

I would call a meeting and tell everyone how you feel. Just exactly how you stated it to us in your post.

Change is dificult to embrace that is just the way we are as humans. But change we must.

As for your raise. I find it hard to accept compliments it must be my insecurity, but I have learned to say thank you gracefuly. So thank them for your raise and get on with it.

My crystal ball says you are going to be more than fine.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh i like all of those suggestions above - i agree - it's better for you to be the type of supervisor that fits your personality or you will really lose your mind, more money or no (which btw you definitely deserve) - but you can take the job, once it is more defined, and make it your own - the people who don't like it will either eventually fall in line or leave. :) and definitely don't hesitate to call me too! :)

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home