Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lots of Heavy Lifting

We continue to make some progress on preparing the new house to move in. Today we emptied the storage space of all of my mother in law's old stuff. It's now all in the new garage, which is huge. That will save a lot in storage fees. Some of the pieces were huge and cumbersome, but we had a couple of friends who helped us, and that made things go a lot smoother.

After moving all the stuff we went to lunch and then returned to the house for some few little things. The sun was getting low and it was beautiful to watch as it filled the kitchen and living room with light. The floors are almost done and the red oak we chose for the living room is amazing.

A flock of quails nests near the house and they were out enjoying the evening as I left and walked towards this house. Upon my approach they took flight, filling the air with the soft sound of their wings. There is a lovely french noun that describes this type of soft, gentle sounds (bruissement). Alas, I do not know of an equivalent in english. Although it is litterally like "sounding" it does not carry the brassiness of this word. When I remember to take my camera up there, I will snap a shot of the flock and add it to some post.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :) I am so excited for you and your house! That's great that things are moving along. Sending you much love and continued good moving vibes. Maybe it will be read by time of your birthday, hmm? I think a little road trip is order when you're ready! :)

11:22 AM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Yeah!! It will be in a very good spot by my b-day.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

The red oak floors sound gorgeous. I'm not sure what the ones in my parents' house (which I used to rent from them) are, possibly also red oak, but anyhow we have all enjoyed them a lot. (After buying the house about 14 years ago, we quickly ripped out the old carpet and re-finished the floors.) They are not ideal for rabbits, but Ms. Spots has learned to maneuver without sliding too much.

Anyway, I'm glad you have a nice big garage that will store all the stuff! We now have a shed next to the garage for my California storage. I guess someday I'll have everything out of storage again... right now I'm just envying you the fun parts of getting a new place that you can fix up any way you want!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Oh, and hey, let me know if you are taking the road trip up towards Berkeley. I'll be around till the end of August.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home