Wednesday, February 21, 2007

100 goes unnoticed


I did not even notice that I reached the 100 mark on my postings! Oh well, it's not the numbers that counts I guess.

I just finished a wonderful book by Ursula LeGuin. I'm unsure if I have read other books by her. For sure I have been familiar with her name, but could not tie it to any novel I may have read. The Left Hand of Darkness I found immensely moving and captivating. I could not wait to read the next installment and at the same time wanted to delay it to savor the world contained within. It is not particularly long and I was finished way to quickly. I am rereading passaged as they were so well writen. I think I will look her up for more. Some aspects of this story reminded me of Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time. In that both have worlds where sexual differences are nonexistant. However, the heart of the inhabitant of Gethen is much like the heart of humans as we know it. Filled with doubt, and fears, and also hatred. Piercy's book depict emotionally strong folks, if I remember correctly, who contributed to the evolution of the world they inhabit. Maybe that reflection on the human soul is what made this novel so touching to me; showing us with all our weaknesses, our pain, our fragility. I recommend it highly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

Surely you are not having snow like that on the California coast! Or have you-all stolen the Czech Republic's supply?

1:21 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Definitely not, that is a photo from my visit to a friend in Quebec last year! But since the book I refer to in the post takes place on a planet named "winter" I needed some snow to go with it!

5:40 PM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

I definitely will look for that book. I need some good fantasy right now!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home