Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New Blogger sucks!

Again tonight I takes four or five time to sign on! That is very frustrating.

Anyway, what I wanted to talk about is that I just love the Women Studies class more and more. The students are great. Today we watched Still Killing Us Softly, a film about women's portrayal in publicity and discussed how pervasive it is. One man in the class said that he does not watch television or goes to see films because of the negative influence of the media. But I replied that even at that, there are billboard on the side of the roads (less here than in large cities, but still) adds in the newspaper when we read the news, it's on the city bus, the sides of buildings, stores where we buy clothes etc, etc. I think the guys in the class were really shocked by the contents of the adds depicted. I told them of the add campaing of GAP a few years back when the models were so thin, several folks I know and I were revolted. It was a great class.
I'm also reading something called Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation a collection of essays that is riveting. I might assign some of them to students in addition to the text which is copious amount of reading for this level. I think they can handle the challenge.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that film! I saw it a couple of times in college in Sociology classes - where did u find it by the way?

6:45 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

The other instructor for the class had a copy. She has a ton of great stuff to use in the class and she shares it very nicely!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Sounds like a great class!

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home