Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wierdness

This is truly very wierd! We are moving into our own home. I never thought I could be a homeowner. I guess I really am old! It feels really strange to be doing this. I am still at my computer in the old house and most of our furniture except our bed is at the new house unnatended. The kitchen table, the TV, the couch, all are there waiting to be put to use. The fridge and washer, yet the bed is still here at this house and the computer too. We have done a lot of work, and the place is coming together nicely with a few exceptions. Our bedroom floor needs some help, the floor guys had a problem that their attempt to fix did not solve. They are coming over tomorrow. We still need the counter in the kitchen to be installed and some tiles to be put in. Our bedroom still needs some refinishing of the wall as it has some of that yucky fake wood siding on two of the walls that we will refinish using fun tip # 63: apply liberally (I should be able to do that, the liberal part!) some wall finishing compound that is pretty much new age plaster and then paint on top. It should need about four coats as it tends to crack when drying. There is still some painting to be done in the corridor (Yes! we have one of those, how uncalifornian of us!) and in the master bath and bedroom. Other than that we are in a good shape. It still does not quite feel like home, after all we have been here for 14 years! Maybe fifteen? Somewhere around there. A long time. The longest I have lived anywhere! I will miss this old funky place. The Kid did a lot of growing up here, and so did I.

Other than that the Kid has successfully moved back east to North Carolina and passed her two test to begin instruction. (Stats and Calculus) I am begining to teach my class at the local Junior College and that should be fun, but a lot of work too. My boss is not too happy about that, since I keep asking to go down to 32 hours a week, and now I am starting another thing. Since I wasn't sure that the class would be a go, I did not tell him about it untill today. He asked how it would affect my health? Since I have stated that my current job is a lot for me. I know it was not concern for me on his part, but merely trying to point out that taking more on was not, I don't know, "honest" of me or something like that. Well, my dear boss, somethings are more stressful than others and I am not sure I would go over the last month's stress no matter what.

The last thing making these few days particularly hard is that the Kid is now 3,000 miles away. And that is tough! She was crying a lot before leaving and I felt a little numb, a feeling I am quite familiar with. As my friend Helene used to say: "I learned from the nuns, you can do everything right, you just don't feel anything." That is the French Canadian woman upbringing in a nutshell. Now that she is far away, I do miss the Kid. I see a red car and automatically think she is near, even though I know she cannot be. I may just have to go visit her. And I know she would be glad of it. Anyone going back east in the near future. Hippiechick, I know you are going to BT in September, want to drive down to North Carolina from there? I think I will book some flight some time soon!

Well these are my musings for now, I need to go get the thrash out at the other house now as they pick up on a different day! And there is a big hill to go down with the can, good thing they have wheels!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh girlfriend, i sure wish i could go down to NC with you but i'm all booked up :( I am so excited for you with the new home and the teaching gig and I am also sending you lots of love and oxoox b/c I know how much you miss the Kid. Interestingly, me and Bee Dragon are going to Balto in April for Passover and I was hoping to convince her to drive down to Florida instead of flying - maybe we could work out something then, hmm? i know it's very far in the future though. Best of luck with the new home - and please email me your new address ok?

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home